Is travelling you passion? Does the idea of exploring exotic locations or being associated with the travel and tourism industry excite you? If yes, then what are you waiting for? A bright career in tourism is calling you! This article talks about the tourism industry in India and career opportunities in it.
Tourism Industry- At a Glance
Travel and tourism industry in India is undergoing a massive improvement and expansion with the greater attention paid by the Indian Government. It holds huge potential for the economy of India. With its expansion, the job opportunities in the sector are also increasing significantly. The price competitiveness of the Indian tourism sector was ranked 28th out of the 139th countries by the Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report 2011. As a matter of fact, this sector is the major employer in the country.
According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, the annual growth of the industry is estimated to be around 8.8% during the period 2011-2012. This ranks India at fifth position among the countries with the rapidly growing tourism sector. With globalization, this industry in India is getting a boost to expand further.
With the development of communication and transportation facilities, travelling nationally and internationally has become much easier. India is a country known for its hospitality, diverse traditions and cultures, which attract tourists from across the globe. The presence of great attractions like scenic beauty, pristine beaches, attractive national parks, mesmerizing mountains, and temples makes the country one of the hottest tourist destinations in the world.
The scope of career opportunities in travel and tourism is immense. According to the sources from NSSO, Ministry of Finance, the industry has the potential to generate around 37 million more jobs by 2020. Employment opportunities in the field exist in private as well as public sector. Private sector includes job possibilities with transport agencies, travel agencies, cargo companies, hotels, and airlines. On the other hand, one can work as a guide or with Department of Tourism in public sector.
Take a look at the job possibilities generated by the tourism industry in different sectors:
- Hotels: Hotels are the major part of service and travel industry. With increasing number of tourists in the country, the demand for hotels, lounges and resorts is recording an all-time high. Thus, the hotel industry in India requires more trained professionals.
- Travel Agencies: Candidates willing to seek a job in tourism sector can find lucrative options in travel agencies. These companies arrange travel services for travelers going for business or holiday purpose. Professionals in these agencies provide information about hotel rates, tourist places, foreign exchange and flight rates.
- Transport: Transport sector plays a crucial role in facilitating the functioning of travel industry. With an increase in the number of tourists, the job openings in transport companies are rising.
- Tourism Department: Candidates are recruited as tour guides, information officers, reservation counter staff, and tour planners in tourism department. The professionals in the field play a prime role in promoting the tourism in India.
- Airlines: The aviation sector in India also appoints professionals with a degree in tourism. Smart professionals with excellent communication skills and pleasing personality are preferred in the sector. Reputed airlines such as Air India, British Airways, Spicejet, and Emirates require air hostess, traffic assistant, ground floor staff or customer attendant.
Colleges, Courses and Eligibility
If you wish to seek a career in tourism, pursuing a degree in the field is the first step towards the completion of your goal. In India, several reputed colleges are available that offer travel and tourism courses.
Some of them include: All India Institute of Aeronautics, Bihar Subhas Bose Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata Imperial Institute of Hotel Management, Chandigarh ITM- Institute of Hotel Management, Navi Mumbai All India Institute of Aeronautics, Lucknow Kohinoor IMI School of Hospitality Management, Pune Poddar Institute of Information Technology, Jaipur The Oxford College of Hotel Management, Bangalore Creative Academy of Tourism, Gurgaon Sikkim Manipal University
The minimum qualification required to seek admissions to the various courses in tourism is 10+2. These institutes offer different courses, including Certificate, Diploma, Graduate and Postgraduate programs. The popular programs offered include:
â€¢ Mater of Tourism Administration (MTA)-The postgraduate degree in the field is awarded by Master of Tourism Administration (MTA) program. It is a two year full-time program, which is approved by the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
â€¢ BSc in Travel and Tourism- At graduate level, B. Sc. in Tourism is a popular course. The three year program requires candidates that are 10+2 pass.
â€¢ Diploma in Air Travel & Tourism- The diploma program is a one year course. The eligibility criterion is same as that of the graduate program.
â€¢ Computer Application in Travel and Tourism Industry- Those willing to pursue a short-term course can take this program. It is a two month course that trains the students in computer application in the field.
â€¢ PG Diploma in Tourism Management- The graduates in any discipline are eligible to seek admission in this one year diploma course.
Apart from formal training and education, the candidate should possess personal attributes such as pleasing personality, communication skills, general awareness, detailed knowledge of tourist destinations and business tactics.
So, if you have the zeal to be a part of this flourishing and exciting industry, pick the right training program and be a winner!
Author: Swati Srivastava is a prolific writer who loves to write on a wide range of topics like matrimony, education and real estate. Her articles for Shiksha.com offer a deep knowledge about various lucrative professional courses like MBA, travel and tourism courses, Hotel Management, and Engineering. Click below to reach the details.